Crimeshots© True Crime Forums  

Go Back   Crimeshots© True Crime Forums > Passion and Hatred
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Passion and Hatred Discussion concerning the all too often, "Crimes of Passion" and "Hate Crimes."

Old 05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Special Reporter

Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!
Default Kirk And Jennifer Turner--2007 Murder From North Carolina

I just saw a "48 Hours" special on this case. Kirk Turner was a successful dentist; Jennifer Turner ran their horse farm. They were divorcing after 23 years of marriage.

Dr. Turner killed his wife in self-defense (he alleges) after she attacked him with a spear. The jury believed him and found him not guilty.

This is supposedly what happened: Dr. and Mrs. Turner were in a shed behind their barn. A friend of theirs was outside in his car, so he was a witness of sorts, although he could not see either of them. Dr. Turner gave Mrs. Turner some paperwork which made her furious, and she picked up an ornamental spear, stabbing him twice in the upper left thigh.

At this point, Dr. Turner reached into his right front pocket, where he carried a folding knife, and stabbed Mrs. Turner. The entire altercation took less than two minutes, at which point Dr. Turner staggered outside and called for help.

Police believed that Dr. Turner stabbed Mrs. Turner and then staged the scene to make it appear to be self-defense.

The jury's Not Guilty verdict hinged on one piece of evidence: the blood on Dr. Turner's jeans. The blood on his right front pocket was his alone, not mixed with Mrs. Turner's. The jury believed that this proves that Dr. Turner had already been stabbed when he reached into his pocket for the knife.

Now, that may be what happened. However, I am wondering, what if he reached into his pocket for the knife, stabbed his wife, then picked up the spear and stabbed himself in the thigh? Mrs. Turner's fingerprints were not found on the spear. His wounds could have been self-inflicted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/crimesider/?k...ennifer+turner
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Cereal Killer

leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!

I realize this post is a few months old, but I recently watched this 48 Hours episode on the ID channel. I, too, was left with a lot of questions and disbelief.

I agree with you...with so much evidence pointing to his guilt, and they hyper-focus on one small detail to determine he's not guilty.

I also took issue with the reporter who kept referring to Jennifer's "obsession" with her horses. She ran a horse farm! Yes, it really does take up every waking moment of your life if you're trying to run a business centered around horses! (I, too, am a horse-lover, so I may be a tiny bit biased. ) When a person has horses in their blood, they need horses in their lives in order to have any sense of happiness. Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

Anyway...also, Jennifer's son said that since she had once (ONCE!) chased him with a horse whip, that she was also capable of coming at a person with a spear. Come on! It's a comparison of apples and oranges! And he didn't say she DID whip him, but chased him with one. Not that I condone child abuse by any means. She may not have had any actual intent to whip him, but wanted to put a little fear into him.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Special Reporter

Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!Hippo Super Duper Crime Fighter!

To Leahschmeah:

Thank you for responding. I am conflicted about this case.

I'm guessing that Dr. Turner is not really a threat to the community, even if he IS guilty.

I just had problems understanding the entire scenario and why the blood on the pocket was so important.

Why weren't Mrs. Turner's fingerprints on the spear? That seems pretty odd.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Cereal Killer

leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!leahshmeah Super Duper Crime Fighter!

Right...I kept thinking of possibilities for the blood to be on the pocket...

(a) if he was stabbed first, then it's possible that he could've had blood on his right hand (he was stabbed in the LEFT leg) when reaching into his pocket for the knife.

(b) but was it KIRK who actually transferred the blood onto his pocket? Could it have been a paramedic who treated him at the hospital? Someone might have had blood on their glove, and checked the pockets after removing the pants at the hospital.

(c) I think it would have been very unlikely for him to have put that knife back into his pocket after he'd killed Jennifer. Why bother putting it away, when the whole place is a bloodbath?? So, of course, her blood wouldn't be on the pocket. This makes me think the blood on the pocket may have come from someone else checking his pockets in the ambulance or at the hospital.

Another suspicious thing was that Jennifer's blood was splattered on the lower part of the table. One investigator indicated that meant she was not stabbed while she was standing; she was on the floor when he stabbed her.

It's a bizarre case. It has been a couple of weeks since I watched the episode, so I don't remember all of the other suspicious evidence at the moment.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Special Reporter

To Leahschmeah:

Well, I am inclined to think he's guilty. However, in his defense, let's say she stabbed him first.

Then, let's say he reached into his pocket for the knife and stabbed her. She fell and then he stabbed her again, strictly as an instinctive survival move.

I do not recollect how many times he stabbed her. However, when he felt his life was threatened, he might not stop after using the knife only once. The fact that he stabbed her after she fell does not necessarily indicate that he started the altercation and is guilty of first-degree murder.

I'm still very suspicious about why there were no fingerprints on the spear from Mrs. Turner. Dr. Turner was very very angry with her due to her alienation of affection lawsuit. That's a good motive for murder right there.