Crimeshots© True Crime Forums  

Go Back   Crimeshots© True Crime Forums > Children's Issues; Child Safety Laws, Abuse News and Information
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Children's Issues; Child Safety Laws, Abuse News and Information This forum centers around children's safety laws and child abuse issues and information.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Crime Reporter

Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!
Sad Dakota Cheyenne Hughes

Man charged in death of 11-year-old Cartwright girl

By Robert Medley - Staff Writer
Published: October 19, 2009

CARTWRIGHT — A Texas man has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of 11-year-old Dakota Cheyenne Hughes.

The girl's nude body was found about 4 a.m. Sunday at her aunt's house in Cartwright.

Jason Lee Belew, 34, is being held in the Grayson County, Texas, jail.

Belew was charged today with murder in Bryan County District Court, said District Attorney Emily Redman.

Redman said it is too soon to know whether she will seek the death penalty in the case.

http://newsok.com/man-charged-in-dea...ad_story_title
Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Crime Reporter

Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!Bailey Super Duper Crime Fighter!
Sad Man, 34, jailed in death of Cartwright girl, 11

BY AARON CRESPO
Published: October 19, 2009

CARTWRIGHT — A 34-year-old man was arrested Sunday evening in the killing of an 11-year-old Cartwright girl, an Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman said.

Jason Lee Belew, 34, was arrested on a first-degree murder complaint, OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown said. Brown did not give information on how the girl died. Dakota Cheyenne Hughes was found dead about 4 a.m. Sunday at her aunt’s house next door to her home.

She had been watching movies with the man late Saturday night, said her father, Bill Hughes. The aunt woke up and found Dakota dead in a back bedroom and the man was gone.

Brown said Belew was from the Grayson County, Texas, area. He was arrested earlier Sunday on a criminal mischief warrant. He was booked into the Grayson County jail.

Cartwright is a small town on the Red River southwest of Durant in Bryan County.

"She was a sweet little girl. She was friendly to everybody, a sweet kid,” Bill Hughes said of his daughter. "She was a good girl in school. She was friends with everybody.”

Dakota was a sixth-grader at Colbert Elementary School in Colbert, he said. Dakota was found dead at 375 Dogwood Trail, Brown said.

"She (Dakota) had a friend that came over and watched movies with her,” Hughes said.

Hughes said he didn’t know the friend personally and that Dakota had known him for about a month.

"It’s hard to put in words,” Hughes said. "I just can’t understand how somebody could be so sick to do something.”

http://newsok.com/man-34-jailed-in-d...rticle/3410260
Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Crime Reporter

Sad Funeral services held for 11-year-old Cartwright girl

35 mins 18 secs ago

CARTWRIGHT — An 11-year-old Cartwright girl’s favorite color and her father’s love were recalled during a funeral service Saturday.

Services for Dakota Cheyenne Hughes, who was murdered, Oct. 18, were held at the First Baptist Church in Cartwright. Bro. Ray Earley, who officiated the service, spoke about how Dakota is now experiencing Christ’s love in Heaven where there is no pain and no tears. He spoke of Christ’s love for children.

Her favorite color was purple and she loved rides, especially the carousel, a ride that she could have worn out because she wanted to ride it so often. Earley said Dakota’s room in Heaven is purple and she will never be able to wear out a ride in Heaven with Jesus.

Earley spoke of the family’s love for Dakota.

“Her teacher told me that every morning, Dakota would say, ‘My daddy loves me,”’ Earley said.

The Twenty-Third Psalm was printed in the memorial pamphlet: “The Lord is my Shepherd: I shall not want ... He maketh me lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters ... He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake ... Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over ... Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Dakota was laid to rest at Pilot Point Cemetery in Pilot Point, Texas.

Authorities said the she was murdered Oct. 18 while staying at her aunt’s home in Cartwright. Jason Lee Belew, 34, Sherman, Texas, an acquaintance of the aunt who had been at the home, was arrested later that day.

The State Medical Examiner’s Office ruled that strangulation was the likely cause of death.

He has been charged with first-degree murder, and District Attorney Emily Redman said she will likely seek the death penalty for Belew.

A preliminary hearing for him was set Jan. 14.

http://www.durantdemocrat.com/pages/...home_news_lead