Crimeshots© True Crime Forums  

Go Back   Crimeshots© True Crime Forums > Unsolved Murders/Cold Cases
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unsolved Murders/Cold Cases Forum For Crime Buffs Who Follow Unsolved Murder Cases. More and more of these cases are being solved every day, thanks to new DNA testing.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Banned

Gary Dee will become famous soon enough
Exclamation 16-year-old girl found strangled to death in an El Cajon home 22 years ago

A 16-year-old girl is found strangled to death in an El Cajon home 22 years ago, and still, there's no arrest in the case. But new advances in DNA testing may soon lead detectives to the killer.

The year was 1985, and the crime scene was horrific. A 16-year-old Granite Hills High School student murdered.

"Christine Pain was found in the bathroom of this home. When she was found she was in a tub of water," Sheriff's homicide detective Rick Scully said.

Scully took over the cold case three years ago. He started by reviewing old reports and zeroing in on possible suspects from the decades-old investigation.

"There was an extensive list of people who had access to the property that day," Scully said.

Christine Pain had been hired to clean the house on Sunview Drive where she was found. It was a regular job she'd been doing for more than a year. The autopsy showed Pain was strangled and assaulted. Detectives believe the killer placed the girl's body in the bathtub to make it look like an accidental fall.

"We see this crime as centered around Christine Pain as being the target," Scully said.

The couple who hired pain to clean their home was Leon and Sue Martelli. Sue Martelli had an alibi -- she was out shopping with a friend. Her husband Leon told deputies he was inspecting construction sites at the time of the murder.

Twenty-two years after the murder, sheriff criminalist Byron Sonnenberg is painstakingly going through the original crime scene evidence. He's looking for anything that might yield a DNA sample.

"Using the alternative light source, it better enables us to visualize body fluid stains such as semen and saliva, because these stains will fluoresce," Sonnenberg said.

DNA testing has been done several times before in this case, but investigators are hopeful that new, more sensitive DNA tests may turn up something.

"We've identified a number of different items which could benefit from re-testing. Some items have never been tested before," Sonnenberg said.

One of those items is scrapings from Christine Pain's fingernails.
"Often times if there's been a struggle when someone is killed, it's not uncommon for there to be DNA from the perpetrator under the victim's fingernails," Sonnenberg explained.

Detective Scully knows it won't be easy finding Christine's killer.

"These are old cases cause there's problems with these cases," Scully said. "Lack of evidence, witnesses aren't forthcoming. But when you do solve them, it's very rewarding. You get a lot of feedback from the families, and it just feels good when you do it."

After 22 years, justice has been a long time coming.

Three detectives make up the sheriff's cold case team, and it's no easy job. Each detective has a work load of about one hundred cases.

http://www.kfmb.com:80/features/crim...y.php?id=82076
Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 AM

LUZ is on a distinguished road

I am new to this forum and would like to know more about how this works. My reason for looking into this site is because My daughter and I have been through the Crime Victim Program. My daughter a victim of incest at the age of 11. She is from my point of view not well. She has reunited with her father and is allowing solo contact with her 11 year old daughter. Because I was discouraged from bringing charges against her father he was never tried and therefore is not registered as a sex offender.
Last year my daughter's half brother committed suicide.
Hind site is always 20- 20 now with therapy and education I can recognize what a deviant he is and am worried about my grand daughter. She is not allowing me access to my grand daughter which I helped raise till the age of 8, my grand daughter though has called me.
They all live in El Cajon. He relocated there in 1985. He has worked in contruction.
My daughter is very angry with me right now because I refused to attend her wedding at her father's home in El Cajon. There is more I can say but am already shaking just writing this.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Does any one know if this case has been closed? It says Gary Dee is banned where did this case come from how can I find out more about it?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Poster

ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!

LUZ, the link from where this news story came from is now dead. That happens a lot. I think that is the entire article that is here, though.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 PM

Thank you ellabelle! Am new to this forum and am just trying to find out how to manuver.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Super Poster

ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!ellabele Super Duper Crime Fighter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUZ
Thank you ellabelle! Am new to this forum and am just trying to find out how to manuver.
Glad to help. Welcome to Crimeshots!